EGFPD relies upon our dedicated volunteer members, who are willing to commit the time necessary to cover the number of diverse emergency calls we receive. In fact, similar to the national average, our department is made up by 80% volunteers. We respond to structure fires, automobile collisions, hazardous materials incidents, wildland fires, fire alarms, medical assists, and public assistance calls. This variety of calls provides you with an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the field of Fire and Emergency Services, while providing a valuable service to the local community.
Volunteer Firefighter Benefits
• Training provided-no experience necessary.
• Uniforms and turn-out gear provided.
• Access to work-out facilities at the Headquarters station
• Pension and Insurance Benefits including Life Insurance, Workman’s Comp and options for Health Insurance, Health Savings Accounts or Health Reimbursement Accounts! (Details in the Volunteer Firefighter Application Packet)
• Access to reduced cost memberships to the Fraser Valley Rec Center!
• Certification classes for Hazardous Material Operations, Firefighter I Certification, and Driver/Engineer Classes.
• In and out of state training opportunities.
• Members have in station, full time, residency opportunity (see below).
Fill Out an Interest Card to Join EGFPD
Not sure yet if you want to join, then fill out our online Volunteer Interest Card and we’ll set up a time to go over any questions you may have first.
Apply Today to Become a Volunteer Firefighter with EGFPD
Already know you want to join? Then click here for the Volunteer Firefighter Application Packet or call our main office to make an appointment at 970-726-5824. Read the entire application packet and fill it out in its’ entirety. Attach copies of any records requested in the application (references, Identification or certifications) and drop off or mail your completed application as specified in the application packet.
Upon receipt of your application packet, the Training Coordinator will review it for completion. If your application is accepted, you will be called upon to schedule a preliminary interview. After your interview, the Training Coordinator will decide whether or not to bring your application before the company officers for approval and acceptance into EGFPD recruit class.
Minimum Qualifications for Membership
• Must be a minimum of 18 years old
• Must possess a high school diploma or GED
• Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Colorado driver’s license at time of acceptance
• Must be able to pass a background investigation, through CBI
• Must pass a physical exam conducted by a physician designated by EGFPD (physical exam is paid for by East Grand Fire)
Resident Firefighter Benefits
• Free housing in a private dorm room or private apartment in one of three fire stations, depending on the station. Housing includes rent, cable and internet, a common kitchen and living room area with a Pool table and 50” flat screen TV are provided in the dorm style stations. (Singles only, No families.)
• Obtain more information regarding EGFPD’s Resident Firefighter program from the Training Coordinator.